Roma’s Serger University
3 Days of Serger Fun
Created & Taught by RoseMary Keene
Nov 8-10 (Fri-Sun) 10:00-5:00
Lunch, Workbooks and fabric kits (value $235), all included.
Did you buy a serger and don’t know exactly everything you want to do with it? If you don’t have one, have you wondered what a serger is and what you can accomplish with it? You will know how they work after this class. Everything from basic threading, stitches and presser feet explained. Everyone will be using a Babylock Triumph serger during this 3-day event. (If you purchased a Triumph or Ovation from Eddie’s, you will be bringing and using your own.)
After the event, you will be somewhat of an expert. Sergers eliminate extra steps both in construction and decorative techniques, as well as create beautiful finished edges. One of the many advantages of a serger is that it cuts, seams and finishes (overcasts) all in one operation. You will have a professional look in only a fraction of the time and with much less effort. Every sewer needs a serger to compliment their sewing machine. You don’t need to be a chef to have an oven in your kitchen. They go together like your stove and oven.
For years, serger finishes have been widely used solely on the inside of garments for overcasting seams and construction. Now, sergers can not only finish the inside seams but create beautiful hems, quilting, piecing, top finishes and wonderful home décor items.
This workshop’s scope of knowledge:
1. All the parts of your machine and receive labels to make it easier to remember what those dials and knobs are for.
2. What is the difference between 4 thread and an 8 thread machine? Why 8?? It’s 3 machines in one!
3. No tensions?? How do I do this? Relax --- it’s automatic!
4. What is and how to utilize the Differential Feed and when to make an adjustment.
5. How to use many feet and attachments and how to apply them to your garment/project.
6. Needles!!! How, when and why you are to change those needles – and not just when they break! Applies to all sewing machines too.
7. Basic serging stitches; Flatlocking; Wave Stitch; Piping; Zippers; 5 thread safety stitch – using both ‘sides’ of your machine; True rolled and flat, balanced hems; Elastic insertion – the garment industry way; Specialty threading; increasing Overlock needle tensions; Heavy decorative threads; serging curves; Inside corners; Coverhems; Blindhems and so much more! As a bonus you will learn a couple of special threading techniques not in my book! Awesome gathering!
8. Thread – what is preferable and what isn’t.
9. When to use what stitch and best of all why Babylock sergers are THE best and easiest.
This is another great event not to be missed at Eddie’s. He not only gives his first class expert service and knowledge, but you’re also treated to lunch - no need to lose time going out. Be ready to fill your brain, enjoy the camaraderie with other like-minded sergists.
In support of this establishment, all supplies (and machines) are purchased in advance and during, only at Eddie’s.
If you purchased a Babylock Evolution, Evolve or lower model here or elsewhere, you are welcome to bring it in as a potential trade in. All other brands and Babylock sergers are accepted as trade.
Lastly, you will have 3 days of fun enjoying your serger time in our large, comfortable air conditioned classrooms.
Thanks for signing up in advance,
Rosemary Keene & Eddie’s Quilting Bee